Thursday, April 2, 2015

Creative Eye Thursday- Beyond Neutral

Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved

This was such a fun book for me to look through and be inspired by.  I love his take on the art of quilting.  I am such a fan of modern quilting.  I love the use of color, the mix of solids with patterned prints, and the space created in the quilt.  Check out these projects and see which you like best.

I prefer the ones that aren't typical.  Where you wouldn't have guessed that he would have put that block there, or spaced the blocks the way he did.  The unexpected is fun.  A bunch of these quilts I have put in my imaginary box, of quilts I'd like to make.  They are definitely simple.  Something you could accomplish in just a weekend.  And yet, with the right fabric placement and choices, the are impactful.  So fun.

 Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved

Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved


The block I chose to duplicate, and do my own little thing with, was from the quilt, in the lower right hand corner from the collage above.  Piecing this together was a breeze.  It came together in about an hour.  The only hard thing, was I ran out of fabric. {Isn't it fun when you are cutting, and you realize what you thought was a yard, turns out to be less than that, because you secretly cut out a square earlier, and just folded it all back together to hide your secret combinations}.  So because of my fabric craziness I was short about 1/8 yard.  Hmmmm.  The joy of having a fairly extensive fabric collection.  I just pulled a like color fabric, and plugged it in.  No big whoop.  And guess what, I am a quilter.  Quilters adjust and change things all the time.  We call it creativity.  Right?

Here's the quilt, as I was piecing it together.  See, those plaid pieces, they are inspired.  It adds a whole new level of interest to the quilt.   ha ha.  



Here it is finished up.  Well.. pieced together.  Finishing might take some time.
 It's hard to believe that this ONE block, can be a baby quilt for a sweet little cherub.   So fun, it can be a big quilt, or something small.  It's nice when a quilt pattern is very versatile.
 What quilt would you choose to make?












No comments:

Post a Comment