Thursday, April 30, 2015

Creative Eye Thursday (almost)- Teach Me to Appliqué by Pat Sloan

Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved
When I started reading this book I was impressed.  Pat Sloan has done an incredible job explaining appliqué,  both beginning and experienced quilters will get lots of information from her book.  I love that she covers not only appliqué, but threads, tools, etc.  There's a lot of tips in here that are super helpful.  This book's main purpose is to teach the applique technique, but Pat has added a few projects to teach the principle, and they are all very cute.  

I just wish I had paid closer attention to this page.


Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved
You know, I am not a stranger to fusible web.  I have done it a number of times.  No, I don't do it a ton.  Because, well, I am a piecer.  I love piecing.  I digress.  I spent last night and this morning, picking fabrics.  Tracing shapes. Cutting.  Cutting.  Cutting.  Ironing.

And half way through this project, my brain actually came to play.  I looked at what I was doing, and realized that I did it all wrong.  JOY.  Well, maybe not joy.  But, at least it was funny.  I was ironing the fusible on the right side, instead of the wrong side.  Argh.    So, I went about the task, or repairing my mistakes.  Until...  I realized, I have a daughter who has a birthday tomorrow.  I don't have time to find all new fabric, and start from scratch.  Well, no time today.

Today, you get to see that quilters make mistakes.  That we shouldn't really mindlessly go about our tasks.  Or maybe, it's just me.  Either way, I actually really enjoyed this book.  I love trying all these different methods in quilting.  And, I was looking forward to trying this appliqué method.   At least now I know the process, and when I come upon another appliqué project, I can totally test it out.

 Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved

Here's the project, below, that I had hoped to make.  But, to switch mine up, the background was red, instead of white.  The flowers were blue, and the middle thing, I had planned for a white/red floral.  I was trying to push it a little, and be a little different.  ha ha.  Maybe I should have just used the wrong side of the fabric, that would have been VERY different.

Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved
Check out Pat Sloan's book today, you'll love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment