Thursday, March 26, 2015

Creative Eye Thursday - Fast Piece Appliqué by Rose Hughes

Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved

Creative books like, Fat Piece Appliqué, are the best kind of creative book.  I love that there are projects, but what you will really get from this book is a new way to appliqué.  I have tried a variety of appliqué methods, but I have never done it the way the author, Rose Hughes, illustrates in this book.

Trying new ways is always fun, and what I really like about this book, there are plenty of pictures to illustrate her instructions.  Anyone reading this book will know exactly what they need to do, to achieve the desired results.

Rose walks us through the basics, teaching all about preparing to piece the quilt, keeping a notebook, the right supplies, art concepts, and more.  I loved too, that she gives a variety of methods for enlarging designs.  These methods will work for any design, not just hers.

She also teaches to group the appliqué objects together first, and piece them together.  After smaller groups have been pieced together, then they are appliqued to the larger quilt.

Where Rose really takes the cake, is in the embellishment of her quilts.  This is the time to break out the beads, the quilting, and couching.  It makes me wonder if I should spend a little more time embellishing my quilts after I finish piecing them.  I am always so excited to finish piecing, that I quilt it and bind it in a hurry.  But, maybe I am missing an opportunity to make it, really special.  Hmmm, maybe I need some more beads.

Martingale, 2014; used by permission. Photos by Brent Kane. All rights reserved

1 comment:

  1. I have a pattern I got in Hawaii for a sunbonnet Hawaiian Sue. It uses applique and I have to say I am a little nervous about getting started. I have gathered my materials, but have never done applique.

    ReplyDelete